Swapping cinnamon for savory with these oh-so-tasty Homemade Pizza Rolls!
I recently partnered with Pomi Tomato Sauce to create these easy pizza rolls that are just like your favorite frozen pizza pockets from childhood (looking at you HotPockets) but soooo much better!
With melty mozzarella and Pomi fresh strained tomotoes, these pizza rolls definitely didn’t last long in our apartment. Plus, they’re quite simple and fun to make!
- 3 1/2 cups flour
- 2 Tbsp + 2 tsp olive oil
- 2 1/4 tsp yeast
- 1 Tbsp white sugar
- 1 1/3 cup warm water
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup Pomi strained tomatoes
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 2 Tbsp dried basil
- 2 tsp black pepper
- Salt, to taste
- Pepperoni or pieces of sliced ham (for Canadian bacon style rolls!)
- (Optional) Few ounces fresh mozzarella or extra shredded mozzarella
- Mix together warm water, yeast, and white sugar in a large bowl and let sit for a few minutes. Then add the olive oil, flour, and salt and mix together with a wooden spoon until well combined.
- Transfer the dough to a lightly floured surface and knead for 3-4 minutes. You’ll know the dough is ready if it slowly springs back when gently poked with your finger!
- Rinse any residue flour from the large bowl, then lightly grease the bowl with oil, butter, or non-stick spray. Place the dough in the greased bowl, turning it over with your hands a few times to coat with the oil. Cover and let sit for 1-2hrs until doubled in size (the time will depend on the temperature in your kitchen, with a cooler kitchen taking longer).
- Once doubled, punch the dough down to deflate and divide it in half. On a lightly floured surface, roll each half into a roughly 10” by 12” rectangle.
- Brush each dough rectangle with 1 tsp olive oil. Then spread ½ cup Pomi Strained Tomatoes on top of each, making sure to cover all the way to the edges with sauce.
- Next, sprinkle 1 Tbsp dried basil, 1 tsp ground black pepper, and a pinch of salt over each rectangle, followed by ½ cup shredded mozzarella. Lastly add pepperoni or sliced ham (or both!)
- Slowly roll the dough into tight rolls, pinch the seams closed, and place on a plate or tray. Let the rolls chill in the fridge 15-20 min while the oven preheats to 400F. (Note: Rolls can be left in the fridge covered for longer if you plan to make ahead.)
- When ready to bake, slice the rolls into 1” slices using a serrated knife. Place the rolls on a parchment paper lined baking tray. Bake for 15-20 min or until beginning to take on a golden color. If desired, add fresh mozzarella by laying small slices atop rolls or add extra shredded mozzarella; continue baking another few minutes until the cheese is melted and bubbly. Enjoy rolls while still warm!